Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Getting back to the weekly menu

Taking the time to set a menu for the week, or even bi weekly, proves to be the best strategy for ensuring a healthy diet. Taking some time to re-research the dietary recommendations for myself and my son has been a great refresher. There were even weekly menu suggestions to help me get started. --link-- There are different ways to get the ball rolling, I needed to see what options others were taking to give myself a template to modify for our needs. Next, I looked into the levels of nutrition in fresh and frozen fruits and veggies. In my current situation, getting them fresh has been difficult. Then, if I had fresh, sometimes I would not get to use it before they went bad. I hope to be able to solve this problem soon, but in the mean time wanted to know if a good temporary solution could be getting frozen produce. In my research, it states often, frozen fruits and veggies are full of nutrition and are a great way to get what your body needs. --Link-- The process of freezing is called flash freezing ( --link-- ) and the fruits and veggies are put through this process at it's peek nutrition level. Which retains it until it's ready to be used. The next step after that, is to make sure the way you're cooking or using this frozen product is in a way that maintains the nutrients. Okay, so now I want to keep all this in mind as I create my menu. How much time I have to prepare these meals. Also, what kinds of meals are good on the go, or snacks, or what I will have to get if eating out. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and the weekend. For me, Sunday may be the best day to prepare the bulk of the food needed for the week. Then Wednesday is good for picking up the rest of the week. Once I get the hang of this, I think it will really turn out great. We will be eating healthy in no time. Will keep you up dated as I get this together. I hope it can help others too.

No comments: